Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Better eyes.

It's Sunday morning. Early. Jesus was killed Friday evening and buried in the new tomb before the sun went down and the Sabbath officially began. Which was Saturday back then. The day after the Sabbath when work could once again be done Mary walks to the tomb.

Once Jesus was confirmed dead the religious leaders went to Pilate and asked that a seal and detachment of guards be placed at the tomb to keep the disciples from taking Jesus body from the grave and claiming He had risen. After all, He said that if you destroy this temple I'll rebuild it in three days. They got the point - that He was talking about Himself.

So Mary gets near the tomb and sees that the stone has been rolled away and she runs and finds Peter and John (he's the one who reaches the tomb first) and tells them, "they have taken the Lord." Interesting isn't it. The religious leaders protect the tomb because they think the disciples will try to steal the body of Jesus (they obviously don't believe He will actually rise because they "know" he's not the Messiah). And then Mary blames the religious leaders for stealing Jesus' body (obviously she didn't get the memo that He was going to come back to life).

Curious situation. Both sides, good and bad if you want to call it that, blaming the other for something that Jesus told them was gonna happen.

Do you ever rush to judgment? Yea, me too. But often I find that if I would have been listening to God in the first place I'd know what was going on. I think I'll try to do more listening and less judgment jumping so that when I discover that God has done something incredible I'll be like, "yep. I know that was going to happen." Here's to spiritual eyes and a better rememberer.

No comments: