Saturday, February 25, 2012

Help me walk in Your ways

As Christians we talk about walking with God, about following Christ and most of us have a much more difficult time doing it then we would like.  Honestly, our desire to follow is constantly challenged by our desire for so many other things.  We pray to follow God more closely, to walk this life with Jesus but life gets in the way, bills, children, family, careers.  A few verses from Psalm 25 may help us on our walk with Jesus.

David gives four statements that will progressively help us in our walk.

1.  Show me how You work.  God is the same yesterday, today and forever.  The God of David is the same God today and His plan is the same plan.  When we see how God works we begin to trust Him more and the more we trust the closer we can follow.  The more you trust your father, the higher you will climb before you jump.  As you see how God works in your life the more you will trust, the more you trust the higher you are willing to go, the more you are willing to suffer.  God show me how you work so that I might trust you even when I don't understand what you are doing.

2.  School me in Your ways.  David was a student of God, a learner.  I want to go to God's school, to learn from Him what He requires of my life.  A life of faith is easy to start but hard to maintain.  Only by constant instruction can we learn what to watch out for and what God requires.  Teachers have already learned what they are teaching but God knows it all, every mystery and every secret and He is willing to teach anyone who is disciplined enough to be his student.  Take me to God school and teach me your ways.

3.  Take me by the hand.  God is not asking you to go where He is unwilling to go.  He will not ask you to do what He is unwilling to do.  He doesn't ask that you go on your own or take the first step.  Instead He will go with you wherever He asks you to go.  God will take you by the hand and take the journey with you.  I will go anywhere You will go with me.  David didn't want to follow behind and miss the works of God and he certainly didn't want to go ahead and fail on his own.  God will take you by the hand and walk through this life with you.

4.  Lead me down the path of Truth.  There are many roads to travel in this life, I want the one that leads to Truth.  I don't want to be sidetracked.  I want to know the Truth that will set me free.  Jesus said, I am The Way, The Truth and The Life, no one comes to the Father except through me.  I want to know the Truth, the path that  leads to life eternal.  I don't want to waste my time going in a direction that doesn't get me where I truly want to be.

Show me how You work, School me in Your ways, take me by the hand and lead me down the path of Truth.

No comments: