Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Detained

How often are you detained?  And how do you feel about it?
Lately I've had several incidences of people not using their blinker when it directly affects me.  I'm waiting to turn, they are coming toward me and so I wait and then they turn and I'm like, "I could have gone already but was waiting for you!  Thanks a LOT!"  So I'm telling my wife about how inconsiderate some people are and I go, "I could shaved like 1.3 seconds off my travel time had they used their blinker!"

I have a friend who is always waiting on his family.  He's one of those guys who thinks 15 minutes early is on time (I don't get that!).  I think the rest of his family live by the 30 min late rule.

We get detained by a lot of things.  Family.  Cars on the road.  Accidents.  Work.  Overtime of the game.  "One more level and then..."

But it occurred to me this morning as I read 1 Samuel 21 that it has been way too long since I was detained by God.  Here's what got me thinking about it, Verse 7 talks about a man named Doeg the Edomite.  He was king Saul's chief shepherd and was at the Tabernacle.  The text just says that he was, "detained before the Lord."  We don't know why he was there but only that he stayed longer than planned.

Have you ever been detained by the Lord?  Showed up to church and then just didn't want to leave?  Been in a time of prayer that just went on longer than you expected it to?

It doesn't happen very often to me, but there have been a few times when I just didn't want to leave.  I didn't want the music to end.  I needed more.  More of Him.  Nothing strange or mystical happens, you just get to enjoy the presence of God a little longer.

I asked God to give me a heart that was moved by His Spirit.  To detain me.  I need Him to interrupt my life and get me on His schedule.  To re-align my priorities and my focus.  To help me get tuned in and synched up with His will, His way, His plan.

Father, detain me and let me bask in your presence.  Refresh my spirit with your presence.  Renew me and give me a new heart.  Let me spend a little extra time with You.  Amen.

No comments: