Thursday, July 13, 2017

God Doesn't Play Probabilities

I have a friend who enjoys gambling.  He's pretty good at it.  He goes with a limit to spend and knows when to say enough.  He's won many times and is generous with his family and others when he does.

I am not good when it comes to gambling.  I'm terrible at calculating the odds in my head, on the fly, at least when I'm sitting at a blackjack or 3 card poker table.  But you get me in my normal everyday life and I can figure the odds with the best of them and I'll bet you can too.

-The odds are pretty small that she'll get pregnant it it's just one time...
-I can speed here because there is almost never an officer around so I can get away with it...
-No one will notice just one missing...
-Everybody does it, I won't be the one getting caught...

We play the odds in our heads at least a couple times a day I'd guess.   For me, it's more like, what is the likelihood that my wife will smack me if I say this, or if I pat her on the rear one more time?

We may play the odds in our lives, marriages, speed or as a husband, but God does not play the odds.  He's not interested in probabilities.  God has never been the underdog and the odds have never caused Him any concern.

Whether it's Elijah facing off with 850 prophets of false gods, Peter stuck in prison, the Israelites pinned between the sea and the advancing Egyptian army or Jesus in the tomb, the odds have never mattered to God.  In fact, when the odds are stacked against Him the glory for the victory goes to Him!  No matter what you're up against God is bigger.  You may not be able to see how but God can! Take heart in that and walk in His strength knowing the odds are NEVER against God!

One more thing...
Would you like to know who IS interested in the odds?  Satan.  He is ALWAYS playing the odds.  That's why he's constantly tempting you, always watching to see when you might be at your weakest. He's playing the odds.  The probability that you'll give in to his temptations goes up when you're tired, when you haven't spent time with God in bible study or prayer, when you've been skipping out on church, so that's when he's gonna give it a try.

Has there been a time in your life when you thought the odds were against you but God showed up and got the victory?  I'd love to hear about it!

No comments: