Wednesday, December 24, 2008

What I learned on the way there...

When I was younger I loved to go places with no plan. I just get in the car with a destination in mind but just drive, a kind of "get there when we get there" attitude. But I learned something on this trip, well, several things.
Never travel without baby wipes - in good supply!
But second to that is, where travel is concerned I am not a "journey" kind of guy. I am a destination guy. I have a plan. There is expectation involved. The journey gets in the way of my plan. We were supposed to arrive in Boise the evening of the 22nd. But that didn't work out. After we got to Ogden Utah we found out that Interstate 84 West to Boise was closed because of poor visibility (snowing really good!). So we had to travel North to Pocatello (where we ended up staying the night). I was not worried about the snow or the roads, I was upset that we were not going to make it when we planned. We had to drive 2 hours out of the way. And had to spend money on a hotel! I did not really care about the adventure, the journey we got to take. We stayed at a great hotel. And we got to see some beautiful countryside. But I didn't pay much attention to those things since I was more upset about not getting to Boise when planned.

Life, I've heard is not about the destination (though it is ALL about the destination - but go with me for a minute) but about the journey. The twists and turns in life that take us to places we didn't plan and experiences we had not expected. I know some people in life who, like my travel, are more concerned about the destination, their plans and purposes and stuff then they are about the journey of life.

I suppose that it is good for us to be willing to take what life brings us, or rather, take what God brings us. I am reminded of Paul who said, "I know what it is to have plenty, and I know what it is to be in want" and he finished it all with, "I have learned to be content." Enjoying the journey of life has a great deal to do with leaning to be content with what you are given, what comes your way, what God brings.

So I prayed on Monday while driving, "God help me to enjoy what you bring - the detours and the bumps and the turns and twists."

Maybe this Christmas is not turning out just like YOU planned. Maybe the tree isn't as stuffed with presents as you wanted. Maybe there's no snow on the ground like you wanted (were supposed to get up to 6inches today and tomorrow here in Boise!). But What has God brought you? What turns did your life take this last year that changed your plans? Have you been upset about it? Why not see it is an opportunity to discover something about yourself, about your God and about contentment?

Have a great Christmas Eve and Christmas day!

No comments: