Thursday, February 3, 2011

The God of Comfort

When I was a child and wrecked my bike I ran to Mom. She would get out the band-aids and the peroxide and begin the ritual. The peroxide hurt but I knew it would help and what boy doesn't want a band-aid? When I was a child and got into an argument with a neighbor or friend I looked for Dad. His fists were huge, that's why he never had to use them. I knew that Dad would protect me. Mom and Dad did a good job of comforting me and making me feel loved.

Then I became an adult. Married with children. And a scrape on my knee or a bully down the street were the least of my problems. As Husband and Dad I have to protect and provide - those are two of my primary functions. But they aren't easy. I learned quickly that I can't protect my children. I can't be with them all the time and make sure no one looks at them wrong or says mean things to them. Oh how I want to punish those who have been hateful to them! But I can't, pain is a part of growing up. I want to make sure that they have everything they want. But I'm unable to provide all that I would like.

My life is filled with bills and responsibilities and there are relationship obstacles and parental hurdles and struggles of all kinds - I know you can relate. Mom and Dad aren't here to help anymore and what they'd offer is only topical or protective.

But God isn't just concerned with protection, he's about healing. He is always listening. He is close to the brokenhearted. He helps you catch your breath. Even when you get into trouble God is right there, every time. No one who runs to Him loses out.

No matter what is going on in my life when I seek Him, He comforts. When I cry out to Him, He consoles. When I come broken to Him, He picks up the pieces. I always feel better. I always find hope. I always finish my time with God better than when I approached Him. He never lets you down.

Lay it at His feet and don't pick it up again. He's got your back. He is the restorer of broken lives. The healer of hurts. He puts together marriage puzzles that have been broken apart and pushed to the floor. He rewires heart to head to spirit so we think clearly. He gives us focus and determination.

God never fails. Trust it. Trust Him

No comments: