Thursday, November 3, 2011

There is Hope (Think Napoleon, not Uncle Rico)

I am generally a pretty critical person.  I think that we should pay for our mistakes and not just expect that God will get us out of the situations we get ourselves into.  God is not a genie who will appear and grant a wish every time we get in a tough spot.  I guess I've thought of God more like Uncle Rico, who constantly points out the stupid decisions I've made.  He may offer me a job selling DuPont woven fiber bowls door to door, might even let me drive his van, but he's always gonna make out a little better and I'm always gonna be counting my change on the kitchen table.  That's kind of the God we see in Deuteronomy 29 where Moses is listing the curses that will come on the people if they do not follow God with their whole heart.  It's a depressing chapter and kinda makes we want to throw grapefruits.

Then today I come to chapter 30 and maybe my view of God is not quite accurate.  See, in chapter 30 Moses tells the people what will happen if, while they are serving others and laboring and dying in other countries under the oppression of other nations, they turn back to God with their heart and soul.  He says God will restore EVERYTHING they lost, He'll have compassion and get them out of those nations and bring them back to Jerusalem and make them more numerous than their ancestors!

See I have this view of God sometimes, like He's just watching me suffer because I was the one who messed up and He wants to teach me a lesson.  But if God always let me suffer for the stupid mistakes I've made and the pain I've caused Him and others He would never respond to me again.  But He doesn't do that!  He doesn't let me suffer the full-extent of my own stupid actions.  See, even if I go off on my own and do things my way, if I realize my mistake and come back to Him He is faithful and just and will forgive and save me!  THAT MEANS THEIR'S HOPE!

But look at what else!  God will not only welcome me back into relationship, verse 6 says He will, "cut away the thick calluses on my heart and on my children's hearts, freeing me to love God with my whole heart!"  He not only forgives and welcomes, He actually makes it easier for me to love Him, cutting away all the crap I've let build up.

And the end result is that I am able to "make a new start, listening obediently to God..." (verse 8).

Here's the bottom line.  If you've messed up there is no point at which God ever says, "that's enough, I'm done with him/her."  He not only waits for you to come back to Him, He's watching for the exact moment so He can jump in and save you.  Maybe you've been burned by religion and so have left God.  The reality is that there are lots of religions out there that claim God - but He doesn't claim them.  Don't let what someone else said or did mess up your relationship with the God who loves you and died for you.  And if you're a believer but have made some bad choices, God is there to restore you, if you return to Him with heart and soul.

Do you need a new start?  Are you tired of being so grumpy and irritated and mad at the world because you think it's out to get you?  Turn (or return) to God, my God, He'll not only save you, He'll restore you!  He's full of compassion and love and one of His greatest loves is rescuing those who have messed up and come to Him for help.  So, if you're sitting in your truck and reading this - it's for you.  Open up a little and God will do the rest.  He hears you, knows you and loves you.

Turns out, God is a lot more like Napoleon then Uncle Rico... He's waiting until you realize you can't do it yourself.  That's when the music starts and He dances for you.

No comments: