Thursday, January 5, 2012

Is God's Will Revealed In Circumstances

I've been watching comments on Facebook and blogs and listening to conversations about how God works in our lives lately.  Many people talk about God opening doors or closing windows as a way for us to determine His will.  You've heard it, I'm sure.  I was going to do this or that but God closed the door.  Or perhaps it works out this way.  This must be God's will because it worked out.  I was talking to someone the other day who said that they were sure God wanted them to make a big move because He worked out all the circumstances.

I'm wondering if circumstances are a good way for us to determine what God's will is for us in any given situation.

Look at it this way.  If Noah would have considered his circumstances would he have followed through with the Ark?  Or what about Moses?  Or Joseph?  Surely had he considered his circumstances he would have determined God had abandoned him!  After being sold into slavery by his brothers.  Thrown in jail for doing nothing and then after accurately interpreting the dreams of two other prisoners he's forgotten about.  Or consider Paul.  Here's his list from 2 Corinthians 11:
Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one.  Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea,  I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers.  I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked.  Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches.


Do you think that after all this Paul would have concluded that He was doing what God wanted?  Would he have considered the doors in his life to be open or shut?  If you would have faced this same set of circumstances would you have given up?  


Here's what 1 Thessalonians 5:18 says, "Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."  


Regardless of your circumstances if you are loving God and loving others you are accomplishing God's will.  Don't ever think that your circumstances determine whether or not you are on the right path with Christ.

No comments: