Monday, May 21, 2012

Does God Care How You Get Home?

After dropping my son off at school this morning in Wichita I had to stop at the local lumber yard for some supplies to continue working on the privacy fence I am building.  I had about 400 pounds of concrete in the trunk of my little Honda so instead of taking the road I ALWAYS take, I decided to drive the straightest route instead of the fastest.

As I turned onto the my road I noticed a guy I know in his truck with the biggest cheesy grin on his face I've ever seen.  Apparently, seconds before I arrived he was turning onto my road heading the opposite direction when his truck ran completely out of gas.  As he was coasting to the side of the road he sees me.

With that cheesy grin he asks if I can go get him some gas - which I quickly and cheerfully do.

On my way back to his thirsty truck I was thinking about this incident.  There are hundreds of roads in El Dorado.  There are multiple options for getting to my house from the West end of town.   My friend had multiple options as well.  It was a one in a million chance that we would both be at the same spot on the same road at the same time - when neither one of us normally take that route.

In my book that's a God thing.  So I got him some gas, thanked God that I was there at the right time to help and that He used me to bless my friend.  I'm not sure if there was any more significant reason then doing something nice for someone because of Christ.

Does God care how you get home?  No, not really... but He does care whether or not you take advantage of the opportunities He provides you to bless someone else on the way there.  So the next time you take a different road home be on the lookout, God may just be planning to use you as a blessing.

No comments: