Wednesday, May 30, 2012

He's God-For-Us!

Unfortunately many people today know what it's like to feel like those around them are out to get them, instead of cheering them on.  Every generation thinks the one before it was too dull and old fashioned and the one after it is too careless and selfish.  You see it on Facebook all the time.  Something bad happens to someone and they complain as though every bad thing that happens is done to them on purpose.  Like everybody is out to get everybody else. I met a man just today who said, "the first time I trust someone and I get abandoned."

It's no wonder that so many have a negative view of God.  If everybody is out to get me it would stand to reason that God was somehow behind it.

It's easy to get mad at God because, well, He's God.  And I realize that if you are not a Christian none of this makes any difference to you at all.  An atheist CAN'T blame God because God doesn't exist.  An agnostic is just confused.  So if you don't believe the Bible or that there is a God you just go on thinking that the world is out to get you or that Karma is a good plan for your life.

But if you understand that there is a God you will appreciate the following.

God is on your side.  He is God-for-us!  He is the God-who-serves-us!

The truth is that God cares deeply for what happens to us!  He is troubled by the things that trouble us.  His desire is that we would never suffer, but the reality of the world we live in is that many have rejected God and so live for the only other thing there is, themselves.  When a person or society or world lives only for the pleasures of the individual there is bound to be trouble.

We just celebrated Memorial Day, a day set aside to remember those who gave their lives for someone else.  The police don't always do what I want them to.  I have gotten a ticket before and that wasn't fun.  But I didn't get mad at the police officer for doing his job.  He wasn't "out to get me," in fact, I believe I thanked him when we were done.  Not for the ticket, but for being willing to do a job I don't want to do.  For being willing to put his life on the line for me when I have a problem.  Like the officer who came to my house and told me he arrested a drunk driver who pulled into my driveway, hitting my car, and was trying to get the front door open when he was taken into custody.

I don't always like my interactions with the police but I know that they are there to help me, not to harm me. And if I obey the laws I have little fear of being stopped.

God is for us.  He is on our side.  He serves us and even in the midst of our trouble He is there to do good to us.  So, take comfort in the fact that the God of the universe cares about you.  Your trouble will never be too bad for God to rescue you from it.  Take heart!  He's for you!


No comments: