Saturday, August 25, 2012

Inspect Yourself

One of the life complaint I hear all the time as a preacher goes something like, "I just don't know what God wants to do with my life..."  Seems like the vast majority of Christians are just going through the motions waiting for God to dump some incredible, purposeful task in their laps.  I've heard, "I don't know what God is keeping me alive for."  and, "I'm just waiting for God to show me what He wants me to do."

People seem to think, since I'm a preacher, that there must have been this lighting strike moment when God parted the skies and spoke to me A la The Holy Grail.  But it didn't happen like that.  God had been preparing me for preaching my whole life.  I spent some time running from that but God always gets His way.

I think the difficult part is that we all want some great moment when we "know" what it is that God want's us to do with our lives.  But the reality is that what He really wants is you and I to live our lives like Christ, everyday.  Wherever we are and whatever we are doing.

Consider these verses from Galatians 6:4-5.  Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don't be impressed with yourself. Don't compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.

What a great encouragement!

First, explore your life.  Chances are you are one of few people in your job or school who can reach the group you are with every day for Christ.  Or look at where you volunteer or the friends you hang out with.  These people are YOUR mission field.  Don't look for another job - look for opportunities to be Christ where you are NOW.  Make a careful (I would say that means prayerful) exploration of your life AND the work you HAVE BEEN GIVEN.  When was the last time you thought about your job as the work God had given you?  Have you ever looked at your co-workers as people God had uniquely placed in your path for you to reach?  Sink yourself into your job, your school, your classroom, your organization, your volunteer group, your neighborhood and look at it as your unique field of ministry.  Then be Jesus to those people.  Do your work as though you are doing it directly for God.  Be happy!  Be purposeful!  Be inspired!  Be loving!  Be at peace!  Be consistent!  Be Jesus!

And then work to avoid the pitfalls of working for God.  Don't be too impressed with yourself.  And don't compare yourself with others.  Both of these will lead to failure.  One a failure OF witness and the other a failure TO witness.  Both will keep you from experiencing God's best for you.

Instead, take responsibility for your life.  Be creative as you work, share, love, interact with others.  Don't wait for your preacher to counsel you into some wonderful God work.  Don't wait for God to part the clouds and lead you to your destiny with a pillar of fire.  Chances are, where you are standing in your life right now is exactly where God has placed you to reach people that no one else is quite as capable of reaching.

Inspect yourself, your life, your gifts and talents and then... get to work for God.

2 comments:

Sheila E. said...

I've often thought about how we humans will drive at night at 70 miles an hour only being able to see as far as the headlights will illuminate and don't think anything of it, yet we want God to show us the "whole picture" - not just the path he wants us on a mile at a time. That would be a good sermon! LOL

Your blog was helpful to me since I am starting a new job I've been asking myself what I would like to do differently as a person, as a leader, as a supervisor, as a Christian. Asking myself, Who Are You? Thanks for reminding me I am IN my mission field!

Corey said...

Great insight Sheila! I think I WILL use that!