Tuesday, February 4, 2014

How Do You End Your Prayers

Day 35:  Genesis/Psalm 35, Judges 11

David's prayer in chapter 35 is once again written as he is pursued by his enemies.  This is not a movie or a play, this is real life.  David is actually being pursued by trained fighting men who want to kill him.  That's not something I understand.  I have never been pursued by those who want to take my life.  I've been called a lot things and been the focus of some real hate, but I've never been in fear for my life.  But just because my enemies are not flesh and blood doesn't mean they are not real.

Satan is the enemy of every believer in Jesus Christ.  The Bible tells us that his desire is to destroy us and kill us.  He wants to stop us from spreading the Truth about Jesus and connecting with others in a way that leads to changed lives.  He hates seeing people find real life in Jesus.  Hates it.

So Satan does whatever he can to stop us including killing us, destroying our faith or stealing our joy, peace or contentment.  If Satan can shut us down by any of these means he gets a win.  When we are silent, Satan wins.  So he wants to get us to shut up and he will use any means necessary.

David was God's man for God's time just like you and me.  So Satan wanted to get him to shut up.  To stop leading others in the ways of God.  So he was pursued.  Just like you and I are pursued.  And like David, you and I are spared by the grace of God.

But I often tend to get angry with God when in the midst of the pursuit.  I find myself asking, "why" even when I know the answer.  I get frustrated and remind God of all the "good" stuff I've done as though that should keep me from being attacked.  It doesn't.  In fact, the more vocal I am, the more effective my ministry, my more disciplined I am in my spiritual life the more Satan is on the offense.  The more He wants to shut me up.  The more he brings attacks.  And often, instead of running to God and standing in His strength, I whine and fuss.

But not David.  Here's how he ends this prayer in chapter 35, "My tongue shall declare Your righteousness and Your praise all day long."

What's been going on in your life?  Do you recognize that Satan is your enemy and is out to silence you?  Can you see that he is using your circumstances, relationships and situations as a means to keep you quite about your God and your faith?  When you are being pursued by your enemy how do you end your prayers?  Like I have all too often?  In frustration wanting some relief?  Or will you stand on your faith and the Truth that God is always out for your best.

When we are hotly pursued by the enemy we should be more vocal about God's righteousness and praise Him all day long.

No comments: