Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Thankful I Don't Have To Be Perfect

Day 50:  Genesis/Psalm 50 and 1 Samuel 1

Don't judge me until you've walked a mile in my shoes.  Surely you've heard that said before.  At the center of this statement is the idea that it's difficult to criticize someone else's choices/decisions if you haven't been through the same things they have.  When reading the Old Testament we should approach it with the same caution - we haven't walked in those shoes, er, sandals, so some of the things we read may seem strange.  But it was a different time, it was a different covenant between God and mankind (the word testament means covenant or contract) and so some of the concepts we think are outrageous were simply part of the every day life for the people involved.

It is this difference that I am really happy for.  Look with me at the last verse of Psalms 50.  It reads, "He who offers a sacrifice of thanksgiving honors me; and to him who orders his way aright I shall show the salvation of God."

Here are the reasons I am happy about this:

  • I'm happy I don't have to offer any sacrifices for my sin - my two dogs and one gerbil are happy too!  (and they'd be gone in about 10min I'm afraid!)
  • I'm happy that I don't have to live a perfect life - but just be found in the perfect Savior.
  • I'm happy that the Salvation of God is given to those who believe in Jesus, not those who always make the right decisions.
In the Old Testament salvation came through obedience, perfection really, was needed in order to be saved.  Of course no one really could live up to that standard.  Today, we are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ - not the perfection of our lives, but the perfection of the Savior in whom we believe.

So while I attempt to make the right choices  and "order my ways aright" I realize that I will make mistakes and that makes me thankful for my perfect Savior.

Here's how I try to live now, I offer willing sacrifices of thanksgiving and praise to God who orders my ways aright and has given me salvation in Jesus Christ.

Remember that the life of faith in the New Covenant (Testament) is about persistence not perfection.

No comments: