Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sounds like a country song...

So I was reading in 2 Chronicles 21 today about a king named Jehoram. He was a son of Jehoshaphat (good name for your next son!) and was a pretty rotten dude. The first thing he did when he claimed power over his father's kingdom was put his brothers and some other "princes" to death. Not a very nice guy.
Anyway, in verse 20 the dude dies and that is the interesting part that got me thinking. Here's how it reads, "Jehoram was thirty-two years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem eight years. He passed away, to no one's regret, and was buried in the City of David, but not in the tombs of the kings." There, how's that for an epitaph? He was this old. He reigned this long. He died, and no one cared.
Wow! A king! and there was no regret.
I don't know about you but when I die I would like a little regret showed on my behalf. Someone to go, "huh, that guy did some things that were pretty cool." But I guess if that is my desire, if I want a bit of a legacy, then I ought to pay attention to what I do while I'm alive.
Jehoram apparently forgot this. The beginning of the chapter says that he walked in the ways of Ahab (a bad guy who did stuff just to hack God off) and didn't pay attention to the God of his father David.
Well, here's the moral for me. If I want someone to pay attention to you when you die you might want to do some things while you're ALIVE that would give someone reason to regret your death. And you might want to start with faith. Follow God in your life and you will leave a legacy of faith, hope, peace, joy, security, love and grace. And you will certainly be remembered for those!
Here's to a life worth remembering!

No comments: