Saturday, October 3, 2009

Sometimes it's the little things

It started on Thursday evening, a friend, who hadn't talked to her son for some time was praying and asking God to lead him to call. Do you know what happened? He called, of course. And while on the phone he not only shared what was going on with him, he quoted Bible verses to his folks. You just have no idea how big this is. God can, if we allow Him, use what we believe are terrible situations to actually bring us and others closer to Himself. Thank you Lord for answering that prayer!

Thursday night while my friend was on the phone, I was getting sick! Terrible sinus infection and horrible sore-throat. After not sleeping much Thursday night I took Trent to school and decided to head to the Dr's office and see if I could politely force myself into an unscheduled appointment. I prayed on the way to his office, "God, please let them have an opening for me." I usually pray for that stuff, but I felt really bad and was not looking forward to a Sunday morning feeling like that! So I walked into the office and asked the receptionist if there was any way the Dr. could fit me in. She said "good luck" and began to look over his schedule. A moment later she says, "you're not going to believe this, but he just had a 9am cancel" (it was 10 min till 9). I just smiled and said, "I believe it."

I then got to spend the rest of the day at the office working on the message for this Sunday. One of the passages we will look at is the story of the Apostle Peter getting out of the boat and walking with Jesus on the water in the middle of the sea of Galilee during a big storm.
We often think the safest place is in the boat of our comfort, in the boat of our lives that we have built in order to weather the storms of life and see us safely to the other side of eternity. The problem is that we can't get there on our own, by our own power, smarts or abilities. We have to be willing to get out of the boat, to experience the storms of life with Jesus, relying on Him and not on our own "boat."

So, ditch the boat, test the water and see if Jesus doesn't reach out his hand and see you through the storm.

No comments: