Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wanna see me get mad?

If you want to see the preacher get mad mess with my kids. Not the kind of junk that happens at school (though I don't like that either) but as an adult, mess with my kids. Hurt them. Call them names. Make faces at them. Pretend that they aren't good enough for you. Abuse them. Go ahead, make my day.

I'm a pretty relaxed, easy going, non-violent kind of guy. But don't mess with my kids. If you beat up my son you better have a big dad. If you hurt my daughter ...you better have an army. Cause' I'll be the judge, jury and executioner, (this is why I'm not a cop! - don't have the temperament for it!).

Don't you feel like this? Mess with me, no big deal. Mess with my kids... game on. It brings something kinda ugly and sinister deep from within me. Even sitting here writing I'm agitated thinking of something happening to one of my kids. As a follower of Christ I'm sure I'd apologize and ask for forgiveness... after. As a father - watch out.

This is the picture of God I see in the book (at least the first 16 chapters or so) of Isaiah. All these nations have beat up on the Israelites for awhile and God can't take it anymore. Yea, they started it. They sinned and followed other gods and did things they weren't supposed to but they've paid for that... and now God is angry. You Ammonites and Philistines and Moabites and Egyptians, get ready. Prepare yourselves, if you can. Because you've messed with the wrong child. You've stirred the wrong nest. You took the wrong toy, from the wrong kid and now you're gonna pay.

This is the picture of God that is seen quite often in the Old Testament. But only after punishment has been dealt. After the consequences for foolish desires and actions have been taken care of, Dad gets involved.

Here's the deal with your Heavenly Father. He wants what is best for you, whether you do or not. If you mess up, you have to pay the price for your choice, for your sin, for your silly decision. But after that, God is gonna get involved. So, hold your head up. Smile at the bully. Walk with some pride. Because you know something they don't... Your Dad is ALWAYS the biggest.

Thank you Father for the discipline... and the defense.

No comments: