Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Are you stuck IN a trial or ON a trial?

I wonder how many opportunities I've missed in my life because I was too focused on the trial I was going through to see anything else. You may not know this but we (almost all of us) base decisions on what HAS been instead of what COULD be. What I mean is this. If you've been hurt in a relationship you are less likely to jump into another one because you will expect to be hurt again. So you're past experience may keep you from a future opportunity. I think we do that even "in the moment."

Matthew quotes Jesus as saying to the disciples, "you WILL stand trial...BECAUSE you are my followers, BUT this will be your OPPORTUNITY to tell...unbelievers about me." Jesus knew that His disciples would be punished and face trials for no other reason then their faith in Him. But, He also knew that the trials they faced would provide OPPORTUNITIES they might not otherwise have to share their faith.

You and I don't face judge and jury trials like the kind Jesus is talking about, but we do face hardships and temptations (we call them trials). In every trial we face there is opportunity. But these are so opposite from each other that we tend only focus on one or the other at a time. Like when Jesus said, "you can't serve two masters..." here, we tend to not see two sides.
Trials are difficult, opportunities exciting. Trials exhaust us, opportunities infuse us with energy. Trials take from us what we have, opportunities give us more. But when we focus on the trial we tend to forget about the opportunity! But don't lose hope! When we intentionally learn to focus on the opportunities, the trials begin to fade into the background.

I want to be more opportunity focused and less trial conscious. Let's face it, we could all benefit from that. I feel like we at Real Life are going through a "season of trials" - but I'm also beginning to see the many opportunities that exist, solely because of the trials! Let's take advantage of the OPPORTUNITIES for the glory of God and let Him worry about the trials!

No comments: