Thursday, July 22, 2010

The pebble problem.

Have you ever heard it said of someone that they were, "too big for their britches"? I'd like to put a new spin on that from the life of the Apostle Peter.

In Matthew 16:16-18 Jesus is talking with the disciples about who other's thought Jesus really was. Everybody had a different idea about but Jesus asks Peter directly, "who do you believe I am?" And Peter responds, "you are the Christ (means chosen one of God), the Son of the Living God." This was obvious the right answer because Jesus tells Peter that he should consider himself blessed, since "this was revealed not by men, but by my Father in heaven." In other words, God revealed this to you Peter, you ought to be happy about that.

Here's where the problem starts. Peter gets an "atta-boy" from Jesus. You're catching on Peter! You're growing up Peter! In fact, this is where Peter gets his new name. The name he was born with was Simon, but Jesus changed it to Peter right here after this key truth is revealed, Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of the Living God! Way to go, Simon, your name is now going to be Peter - which most language people believe means, "stone" or "pebble".

So let's recap. Peter makes a great spiritual statement about who Jesus was - the Son of The God. Peter gets a pat on the back and a new name (Peter). Then something happens...

Jesus goes on to tell the rest of the disciples, who were all standing right there, that on the truth of Peter's statement Jesus would build His church. And that's just what happened! The church today is built on the foundational belief that the historical Jesus IS, WAS and ALWAYS WILL BE the Son of the LIVING God and the Savior o fall who believe in Him! Which is pretty cool. But right after that Jesus starts talking about Him impending death on the cross. At which point Peter (the pebble) takes Jesus aside and scolds Him, (like a child) saying (in his best big man voice), "this will never happen Lord," you're talking crazy! Why, I'd die before I'd let anyone harm you, after all, I'm a boulder - the guy who came up with the truth on which your church will be founded! (okay, okay, I know I took some liberties there with the text, but you get what I'm saying, right?!)

Did you see how Peter is given a truth from God, claims responsibility for it and in just a few moments goes from a little pebble to scolding Jesus like he was a big boulder? I think a lot of us do that still in our lives. We are given a few pats on the back. A few Atta-boys. And pretty soon we've gone from a little pebble who just wanted to serve and be involved and help however we could... to a boulder that is telling others what to do and bossing them around, etc. I see it all the time. The problem for many leaders with giving people pebble responsibilities is that they soon start acting like boulders, immovable, planted, sturdy.

I always try to look for leaders who have no problem being pebbles. Those are the ones who can roll with the flow. Who will help build the wall, knowing they can't do it themselves, instead of standing on the sidelines telling everyone else how it should be done.

If you read the rest of the story after Peter reprimands Jesus (I still can't believe he did that!) Jesus says, "get behind me Satan!" Wow! Peter goes from a pebble, to a boulder (in his own mind) to a grain of sand as he is called down by Christ.

When you get too big for your britches, the fall is often long and hard. Believe me, I know.

1 comment:

elandreth said...

Great insights! I wish I got an email reminding me everytime you post a new thought. I have a link on my screen but forget to check it regularly. When I do I am always blow away by your way with words. Thanks.

PS See you Friday night. We'll keep the porch light on for you.