Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Jesus Didn't Pray

I suppose the first thing that I should do is clarify the title of this post.  Jesus didn't pray... like we do.  In fact, Jesus prayers seem really strange to me.  So today I thought I'd work through His prayers and see what we might learn about prayer from the greatest pray-er of all time.

In Matthew 15 Jesus feeds the 5,000 + with just a small meal.  He does this by praying, well, to be precise the text says, "after He had given thanks..." So, we know He thanked God for what He had provided.  But I wonder how He prayed that prayer?  If it would have been you or me we might have prayed something like, "Heavenly Father, You know these people need to eat and You have provided only a small meal for one person.  There is not enough for everyone but I know You can do all things.  If it be Your will that these people eat please increase this meal somehow so that we could all eat and be filled.  In Jesus Name, Amen."

But did Jesus ever pray a prayer like that?  Did He ever question what God's will was?  Did He ever ask for things like we do?

Jesus did pray concerning God's will once.  It was the night He was to be betrayed.  He prayed that His Father find another way to pay the price for the sins of the world, but that ultimately the Father's will would be carried out.  He was basically saying, Father, this is going to be really hard.  If there is another way that would be wonderful, but I know that You brought me to this moment and that it has to be this way.  May I always do what You will.

Now, You may ask about the passage where Jesus was teaching His disciples to pray.  He instructs them to pray about God's will being freely accomplished here on earth as His will and reign are in Heaven.  That we ask God to provide for our daily needs out of His abundance.  That we remember to confess our sins and seek forgiveness for them even as we are given the strength to forgive others that harm us.  And that God help us to avoid temptations in our daily life and deliver us from evil or from the evil one (that's about protection).

But when Peter and John are on their way to the Temple to "pray" they meet a lame man on the way.  And here there is no record of Peter or John praying that God would heal this man.  Peter just says, we don't have money to give you but, get up and walk.  So even Peter doesn't seem to pray before He healed someone.

The fact is, Jesus was always doing the will of His Father.  Perhaps that is why we don't see Him praying like we would in these situations.  We are not told of His prayers before He healed someone.  When presented with a need Jesus simply touched, spoke, made mud or gave instructions and the person was healed.  We don't hear of Jesus praying that God's will would be accomplished or asking God what He wanted to happen in this situation.

In John 11 Jesus performs an incredible miracle, He actually brings Lazarus back from the dead after four days.  It was a shining moment for Jesus and the disciples as this event has to increase their faith in Him as the Messiah and Son of God.  And on this rare and special occasion Jesus prays.  Again we might expect to hear, "if it be Your will bring Lazarus back from the dead."  or "God what is impossible with man is possible with You."  But in this strange and wonderful moment Jesus prays His most awkward prayer.  "Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.”

Then, in a breath He simply says, "Lazarus!  Come out!"

So here's my prayer and my conclusion (to this point - I reserve the right to change my mind).  Heavenly Father, give me the boldness of faith to speak.  To put Your reputation and Your power and Your love on the line for the benefit of someone else that I do not have the power to help except to invoke Your Name and speak on Your behalf.  Do not let me be content any longer to pray in my home or office that You heal someone, but boldly speak to their illness or disease like You have already decided to heal them.  To put myself and Your power out in plain view so that when it is discovered that You had already healed them Your Name is honored and glorified among us.  God may You Name be praised and may you make us bold so that the whole world may know that You are God.

No comments: