Monday, August 30, 2010

Are we hindering people from coming to Jesus?

Just wondering today how we as The Church (and as Real Life Church) are hindering people from getting to Jesus. In Luke 18:15-17 the Disciples intercept some parents who are bringing their children to see Jesus, to be touched and blessed by Him. But the disciples don't think Jesus can be bothered with this so they try to turn them away. And I suppose it almost worked! But Jesus stops them and calls the children to Himself.

I think there may be times when I, the church and The Church, act more like the disciples in this case and less like Jesus. We may not ever think of asking someone NOT to come to church. But surely there are times when we simply don't invite. Or maybe just aren't inviting. We may say the church is open to anyone but then arrange it so only a few would "feel" welcomed. What does the front of the church say to an unchurched person? Welcome? or Stay Out?

I often make jokes about churches who hang up banners that say Welcome on them. Isn't the church supposed to be welcoming, without having to hang up a sign that says it for us? I think that at times, in our desire to counteract our culture, we end up driving people away instead of calling them to come closer and investigate. Church is supposed to be attractional... that means that people should see us and the building or place we worship and say to themselves, "I'd like to check that out."

What are you doing, saying, acting, that (maybe unintentionally) reflects more the disciples attitude then Jesus'? How we present the Gospel is as important as the Message! I can tell someone about Jesus and hope and changed life, but if I tell them about it like I was talking about my house burning down around me... who's gonna care? Who's gonna want to come and see for themselves?

We need to make sure that our lives, buildings, language is less like the disciples in this case and more like Jesus - who said, "let the (spiritual) children come to me and do not hinder them. For the Kingdom of God belongs to them."

Did you catch that? The Kingdom of God belongs to the people we might just as soon turn away. God, help me to enable people to come to Jesus, not hinder them.

No comments: