Thursday, August 5, 2010

Computer Art and Faith

Do you remember those computer generated posters or books that had that "hidden" 3d image? They were huge when I was growing up in the 80's and I remember that my sister got a poster one time. I tried and tried but never could see the hidden image. I later got a book of these pictures and as I recall, I gave it away or threw it away. I was convinced that it was a conspiracy. No one really knew what picture was supposed to be there they just waited for someone else to say, "it's a ship" and everyone after them would agree and claim they saw it. I never did.

In Mark 5 there is the story of a demon possessed strong man that Jesus heals. No one could control him and every time they tried to capture him with shackles and chains he broke free. He wandered through graveyards yelling and beating people up and cutting himself. Oh yea, and he didn't like to wear clothes! Surely it was a crazy sight seeing someone get beat up by a screaming naked man, bloody from all the cuts.

But when he meets Jesus everything changes. When the town's people come out to find out what all the commotion is about they see the man dressed (for the first time), sitting at the feet of Jesus calmly having a conversation. The text says he was, "in his right mind." You'd think that Jesus would be hoisted up on their shoulders and carried around to cheers! He just saved this town, no more screaming crazy man in the tombs. The women could move about with freedom without covering their eyes. Parents could let their children play without worry. Men could be men and not get beat up anymore. I mean, this was GREAT news!

So why did the people do the exact opposite? Instead of welcoming Jesus, giving Him the key to the city and creating a holiday in His honor, they ask Him to leave! Crazy! It seems they were more concerned with the loss of income and food. You see, Jesus allowed the evil spirits that inhabited this man (and there were many) to take possession of the minds/actions of a herd of pigs, about 2,000 of them and they promptly ran off a cliff and drowned in the lake! So when the people heard the story the thing that stood out was not the crazy man who had been set free (and likewise the whole town) but the loss of the pigs. The income they generated! The food they provided! Who was going to reimburse the farmer? What were they gonna eat? Who was gonna pay!

Just like those 3d art images that I could never see, I only see what's on the surface, the numbers, the offerings, the relationship problems, the hurt feelings, the programs, etc. And I don't see what is most important. Jesus is changing lives. It may only be one life at a time, but isn't that worth it?

God, help me to see what's truly important - I don't want to be side tracked by what's on the surface, I want to see what You see.

1 comment:

elandreth said...

I love the way you look at the scriptures and bring them to life in a different way. Keep it up.