Monday, November 15, 2010

My wife got new eyes...

My wife has always had problems with her eyes. She was one of those cute little kids wearing glasses, though as she got older, and the glasses got thicker, the cuteness factor begins to dip. So a few years ago we were able to get her new eyes. At least that is what she calls them. She now has contact lenses inserted INTO her eyes just above the lens (I think that's it anyway and yes, it was GROSS). She went from being able to see only items a few inches away from her face to seeing at any distance with clarity. Amazing! Now, it wasn't that she "couldn't" see, but that she could only see what was right in front of her eyes, literally only a few inches away. She couldn't see her feet. She couldn't even see her hands... unless she held them up to her face. So, while she could see one thing everything else was fuzzy and indistinguishable.

I was reading in 2 Corinthians 4 and 5 today and think that I have suffered spiritually what she has suffered physically.

It's not that I can't see at all, it's that I often only see what's right here in front of me. That means that everything else is blurry and that tends to make getting around more difficult, and scary.

As Christians we are supposed to "walk by faith and not by sight." That means that we are supposed to walk according to what we CAN'T see instead of what we can. We have to live according to what we believe not just what we see with our eyes. What we see tells us one story, but it's only part of the story. What we can't see is the truth or reality that there is more going on in us, around us and through us. Let me make it super simple. I don't "see" God with my eyes but the reality of God's presence is all around me. So I live by my faith that He not only exists but that He rewards those who seek Him.

Paul put this into a real-time example in chapter 4 when he said, in a matter of speaking, the following, (I've put it into more specific terms for Real Life). Here at Real Life we are troubled by a lack of space, a lack of funds, a lack of resources - people and mechanical. But our Spirit is not crushed, we have not lost hope. We are at times perplexed by what is happening and what we perceive God is doing, or not doing - that we can't understand - but we do not despair because we know that He is always faithful. Satan is prowling like a lion seeking those whom he may devour, but God is not, has not and will not abandon us. Satan at times even wins and we are knocked down. But we are not and our faith is not destroyed.

I believe that nothing is impossible for God... nothing is even difficult for God! The same God that calmed the storm, raised the dead, fed the masses, healed the lame, spoke the truth and made the blind to see is the same God that now watches over you and me!

So, I will get new eyes, spiritual eyes. I will look not at what "I" can see but at what HE sees. I will not call a bill too big, a problem too enormous, a lack of something too great or a person too messed up for God. I will walk in faith instead of standing in hope (as Steven Furtick said). I will determine to focus not on the problem, the short-fall or the negative, but instead keep my focus on the One who is never surprised and never unable. With my new eyes I will see clearly so that I walk by faith in what He is doing in my life and in His church, not by the lies that Satan so quickly brings to my field of vision, (i.e. you don't have enough, you can't, He won't, etc.).

Here's to new eyes, renewed vision and walking in more faith.

No comments: