Wednesday, November 3, 2010

What is the Christian Life all about?

What is Christianity all about? Do you suppose people who are not believers ask this question? Do people look at us and think, "I don't get it?" What's the big deal about being a Christian. Surely there are people out there who believe there is a God but don't get Him, or care about Him or what He wants... Maybe they don't understand what He's all about?

I'm guessing, since I've been a believer all my life, that people who are not think that we are just like mindless robots. We do whatever some quack in a robe tells us to do. That "God" just wants to control us and keep us from having any fun or experiencing all that life has to offer. I think we Christians must have done a horrible job of explaining the christian life.

Giving your life to God doesn't mean that you lose your freedom, your ability to choose what you want to do and when you want to do it. On the contrary, the christian life is marked by freedom. I can choose to do what I want when I want. I just have to recognize that there are consequences for what I do. If I choose to smoke or take drugs I am free to do that... but there is a high likelihood that I will become a slave to those things (that's why it's called an addiction). I lose my right to choose when I become addicted to alcohol, drugs, sex, violence...sin. Actually, that sin I commit begins to control me! I HAVE to have a another drink. I HAVE to take another drag. That's slavery.

But when I give myself to God through His Son Jesus Christ, what I get is freedom. He will never FORCE me to love Him. He will never MAKE me worship Him. He will never TREAT me like a slave, in fact its quite the opposite, He treats me like a SON.

Jesus said in John 10:9,10 that, Satan "comes to steal and kill and destroy, but I have come that (those who believe) might have real life, eternal life, more and better than they dreamed" (MSG). More life? Better life? Seems pretty far fetched. But look at what Paul says about the Christian life in Romans 14:17, "the Kingdom of God...is a matter of living a life of goodness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit." Does that sound like slavery to you?

What does God want from us? He wants us to willingly choose to give our lives to Him, not as slaves (because we can always choose to do what we want) but as sons and daughters we do what He asks because we love Him. What do we get in return? Life.

God wants you to be able to experience real life. Would you say that your life is marked by goodness? Even if you are a "moral" person, would you say your life is full of peace? That you are joyful? 90% of the time? 50%? 10%? As a follower of Jesus and a child of God my life is not marked by lots of money, a big house or fancy cars. I still face money problems, marital problems, kid problems, pain and sorrow. But in the midst of all that I see the goodness of God displayed all around me. I have peace that surpasses my ability to understand it and though I struggle I have the joy of knowing that this is all temporary anyway.

Do you want to experience Real Life, more and better than you ever imagined? Do you want to live free from the slavery to fear, doubt, addictions and sin? You can have what I and other Christians enjoy. Choose to give your life to God through Jesus Christ. Be free. Experience the real life that only God can give. What have you got to lose? You will always have the opportunity to go back.

No comments: