Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Are You Struggling With Something?

Day 30:  Genesis/Psalm 30, Judges 6

There are a lot of people struggling... duh, it's a constant in our world.  We struggle with finances and fiancé's,  relationships and reconciliation, pain and promises.  There never seems to be a shortage of struggles and difficulties.

Now, to be honest, most of the garbage I find myself dealing with is brought on by me.  If God weren't in the habit of rescuing us from ourselves and our mistakes I think He'd be pretty bored.  I, and a lot of others keep Him plenty busy.

Last year over spring break I went with another church on a mission trip to Mexico to build a house for a local family there.  The ride was like 20 some hours long.  It was horrible.  On the way back we got caught in a blizzard and for hours we drove about 20 MPH because we could barely see the road. It was miserable.  I began to nearly have a panic attack thinking we might never make it.  I just wanted to be home - it was all I could take.  I felt horrible, trapped, freaking out in my head.  And then we got to the church.  I got in my car and Tristen and I drove 15 more minutes home and I got in my own bed.

The next day, the fear was gone.  The panic was gone.  I was home.  And all the feelings I had on the drive seemed like just a dream.  In the moment I thought it would never end.  But it did end.

I think that may be how David felt when he penned these words in Psalm 30, "His anger is but for a moment, His favor for a lifetime; weeping may last for a night, but a shout comes in the morning."

Thankfully, we serve a God who is long in love and short in anger.  In fact, I wonder if God is angry much at all, I think He's more sad than angry.  He has so much good for us, so much blessing stored up for us but we keep going our own way and doing our own thing.  We claim to be doing what He wants at times, but really it's what we want, we just blame Him and then blame Him again when we don't get what we want.  I think God is sad because He knows the potential He placed in us and we all too often squander it.

I'm off track... No matter how down you feel right now because that relationship you thought was going to be "the one" is over.  No matter how bleak the future looks staring at it through the zeros in your bank account.  No matter how hopeless you feel trying to hold your family together alone... His favor is for a lifetime and a shout comes in the morning.

He will see your through if your eyes are on Him.  Look to that relationship you thought was it and you'll be left alone.  Dwell on what you don't have instead of what you do and you'll continue to be captive.  Consider your family, spouse, etc., the most important thing in your life and you'll remain alone even if they stick around.  But put your eyes on Jesus and whatever you're in the middle of right now will soon be just a dream.

One day soon you'll wake up with a shout of JOY and you'll realize that if He's the center of your life, His favor will last your whole life through.

Don't hang your head - pick it up and look for Him.

No comments: