Monday, January 20, 2014

The God Of Promise

Day 21:  Chapter 21 of Genesis, Psalm and Joshua

Genesis 21:1 begins the chapter this way, "the Lord did for Sarah as He had promised."

It's nice when a promise comes through isn't it.  When someone says they are going to do something and they actually do it - that's a welcome event.  Especially when it's something really big.  We live today with the saying, if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't.  It's too bad we even have to have a saying like that.

Wouldn't it be nice if every promise was fulfilled?  If you did actually win that million that dollars the postcard said you, "might already be a winner of..."  If the key that came in the mail actually fit your dream car.  If you really could be approved for credit since the slogan was, everyone's approved.  But that's not the case.

We live in a time when most of us are used to disappointment.

Imagine how Sarah felt, well passed the age of child bearing she actually becomes pregnant a year after her husband is visited by angels - the precise time they said it would happen.  The Lord kept His promise.

Our reading for today ends the same way.  Joshua 21:45, "not one of the good promises which the Lord had made to the house of Israel failed; all came to pass."  Amazing.

I was thinking about promises from God.  I don't have any really, not like Sarah and Israel, anyway.  God hasn't told me exactly what He's going to do in my life.  But I did think of one thing that is comforting me this evening as I write.

God said, "I will never leave you or forsake you."  That's a promise I can claim for myself because it's a promise based on who God is.  No matter where I go, how far I may fall or how fast I try to run away from Him He will never leave me or forsake me.  He will always be right there.  So I don't have a great, grand promise from God about my life, a child or a piece of land, I have the promise of His presence in every moment of every day and night.

I'll take that promise... to the bank.

No comments: