Tuesday, June 13, 2017

You Were Born To Be A Saint.

I'm pretty sure this lottery slogan was meant for me, "you can't win if you don't play."   Only lottery players win the lottery.  And since I don't play... I can't win.

Growing up I played basketball but will never win an NBA championship ring because I don't play at that level.  I'll never earn a Purple Heart because I don't serve in any branch of the military.  I'll never win an Emmy or a Grammy because I'm not an actor or a singer/songwriter.

But there is something I can be and I was born with the ability to attain it.  So were you.

You've probably heard of the term Saint before.  In religious circles it is used when referring to someone who has attained a high level of  holiness.  You've probably heard of Saint Peter, Saint John, etc.  Some churches have special votes to confer the title Saint on individuals who display extraordinary holiness in their lives.  For example, on September 4, 2016 Mother Teresa was declared a Saint by the Catholic Church.

Honestly, I don't believe in declaring individuals Saints because the Bible says that if you're a follower of Jesus you're already a saint.  The writer of the letter to the Hebrews said that by Jesus' sacrifice on the cross He has made perfect forever those who are being made holy, Hebrews 10:14 (emphasis mine).   But here's the best part, you already are a candidate for sainthood!  In fact, you were born eligible!   You may not win a Super Bowl or be the President of the United States but you ALREADY qualify to be a saint.

Paul's letter to the Christians in Rome makes it very clear that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, Romans 3:23.  And since all have sinned it's the one thing every saint has in common - they all started out as sinners.  That's why you have already met the qualification to become a saint because only SINNERS become SAINTS.  You may be feeling bad about your sin or your inability to stop sinning.  You may feel like you will never be as good as some "Saint" you know.  But they started out just where you are.  And if they are honest, they still struggle to do the right thing consistently.

Today, focus on who you want to be (saint) and not on what you've done (sin).  Every saint has struggles but in Jesus you have been made perfect and are being made holy.  It's a process and God is way more interested in your progress than in perfection.  So go do today the things a Saint would do, because you are one.

1 comment:

Ellen Landreth said...

Good thoughts!