Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I'll have the perspective...

Job 38

So, I've been reading in Job, you know the guy that is living his life right and then all his kids are killed and he looses all his herds and lands, etc. and is essentially destitute. That Job. You probably know him because some christian person (or your mom) used to tell you when you had it pretty bad in life that, "at least you're not like Job."

Yesterday I was a little upset because things were financially tight (like who doesn't know about that!) and I was expecting a check on the 12th that we were counting on. Well, the 12th came and went and things got tighter and tighter. Trent ran out of some of his meds. I take him to school every day (100 miles a day) and the car was out of gas. I put just enough gas in to get to and from his school yesterday because I was sure the check would come... but no check.

In those times, do you feel like the whole world has been reduced to your crummy situation? I do. And I get upset. I pound my fist on the table or wall or floor or car or couch or desk or... you be the picture. I wonder out loud to God, "I'm doing what I'm supposed to, I'm living right, why don't You show up?! (cause the preacher on tv said that if I live right God will give me what I want!).

And then I read my favorite part of the book of Job. We've heard Job speak about his troubles. We've heard from each of his friends too. But now it's God's turn to speak for Himself. And it's classic!

Why don't the rivers and oceans flood and wash over the insignificant pieces of earth? You've seen the globe, mostly water. What keeps the oceans where they are supposed to be? Did you know that if the tide is off a little we loose California and Florida (and Louisiana!)? What, or who, keeps the waters back? Who causes it to rain here and not somewhere else? Why does the lighting strike the way it does and why does it "never strike the same place twice"? Who provides food for the lioness and the bird alike with no discrimination? Who keeps the stars from falling out of the sky (or the earth for that matter!)? Who closes up the sky with clouds but at the right time clears them away to reveal that the sun was always there?

There is no randomness to the universe. It is a perfect example of perfect balance. And yet, I still worry about the simplest little things. If my God can conduct the elements like an orchestra and set the seasons on schedule like a perfect piece of simple software (God must use a mac!). If He can remember to feed the animals without being reminded 10x's. Then maybe, just maybe he really does know what's going on. Maybe I don't need to remind Him about me. Maybe I have more faith that my car is going to start in the morning (no, not that one!) then I do that God is watching out for my situation!

And if all this is true then I am about the worst example of faith in the world. Thank you God, for throwing out all the test scores except the highest, and giving that One to the whole class. I can't even tie my shoe without You - forgive me for trying to tell You what You should do. You just go ahead and do whatever You want... I'll get on board with that. Thanks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post! Amen, brother.