Monday, October 4, 2010

Standing on the promise.

I am not a patient man. I don't like to wait for things. In fact, I hate it. For years I have told God, "just tell me what you want me to do... and let me get to it." I don't like to sit. I don't wait well. I have always been a what's next guy. Get this done, so I can move on. That's probably why I'd much rather take a snap-shot than paint a picture.

This creates some problems. I rarely enjoy what I'm doing now. I only see it as a stepping stone for the "next thing" so I don't spend too much time in the moment. Relationships, children, church... same story. Hurry up and get through this, to get to the next thing. I couldn't wait to be married. Then I couldn't wait to have kids. Find a job, settle in and get to work on whats next.

But I'm now in my 39's (39 years, 3 months and 2 days to be exact!) and our oldest child is going to graduate this coming May. And now I'm not so sure I want to move on to the next thing. I'm trying to pull back on the reigns. I'm looking down the road at the changes coming and I'm pretty sure I've missed some things.

It must have been hard for Abraham. God called him to leave his hometown and head to a land of promise. So, Moses packed up and headed out, my kind of guy! A few pit stops and a re-issue of the call and finally he landed at the very spot God promised to give him and his descendants. But did Abraham get right to work? NO! God didn't give Abraham even "one square foot" according to Stephen in Acts 7:4-7! Abraham was standing on the very spot God was going to give his children but Abraham didn't get any of it. Instead, he got a promise. A promise that after some wandering and slavery and punishment and a bunch of years, Abraham's descendants would indeed be given the land and would make it there own.

I don't know if I could do it. Be exactly where God wanted me to be and not do anything about it. It's difficult for me to imagine. Abraham must have been a man of great faith and patience and trust - I guess I struggle with all of those. I want to get to work! I want to get moving! I want to do just about anything but sit and wait. But that is what is needed sometimes. God had to bring a whole nation up, raise them as His children, so they will trust Him and only Him. That couldn't be done if God just gave it to Abraham. So He leads, provides, guides, teaching them to trust.

Sometimes our feet need to be still.
Sometimes all we can do is look to the future and trust that God knows what He's doing.

That's hard for me, but I'm giving it a shot. I know that my life is an unfinished painting of what He has planned. If I sit still long enough, I'll see that picture come to life and be so glad I got to be His subject matter.

He's got a beautiful picture He's painting for you too. Be still and watch it take shape and be amazed at what He sees in you!

No comments: