Tuesday, November 4, 2008

2 Cor 3 / Nov 5 - It's not the end...

Okay, it is difficult night for me. If you didn't know I am a Republican. I had hoped that McCain would pull out an upset, but it seems now that it is highly unlikely that will happen. What does that mean?

For the next four years will will have not only a Democrat in the White House but the first African American President in our Nation's history, which, by-the-way is really cool. I would have desired the first black president to be a republican but, that is the way it goes. Can you believe that we have come so far (as Carl Rove said) "in such a short period of time" from the slavery issue to our First African American Family.

While I am worried about the next few years and all the changes that will most certainly come (my opinion) I am reminded of a few things tonight.

1. The whole idea of our election process is that there is balance. That is why we have senatorial elections ever 2 years and presidential elections every 4 years. It is also why the balance of power from Pennsylvania Avenue and in the senate/congress constantly shift. Four years of democrat rule, eight years of republican rule and back to democrat rule. That is the plan. If you don't know (from whatever side your on) how good you have it, it often takes a change to realize it.

2. The democrats have had to live through eight years of Bush and probably thought they would die at some point or that the end of the world was coming any day. It did not. The same is probably true (all though no one knows the day!) for this time. We will not die (I hope) and the end of the world will probably not happen (see note above). This too shall pass.

3. From chapter 3: Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
-In Christ there is FREEDOM. Regardless of who is in power, in Christ we are free. In chains we are free. Talk to a christian from a communist country- they are free. And you and I are to be a reflection of the Lord's glory and are being transformed into the likeness of Christ. No matter what the future brings, we are Christians first. Followers of Christ regardless of the politics or position of our elected officials.

So today I wake up as a citizen of the greatest country in the world. A country that has been blessed by God at a level greater than any other since the Israelites themselves. I will work. I will do what I believe to be right. I will learn and grow in my faith. I will pray that God gives our president and leaders wisdom to keep this country in the grace of God.

I am not afraid. I am not ashamed. I am a Christian, a follower of Christ. I am today and I will be tomorrow by the grace of God.

No comments: