Thursday, November 13, 2008

Galatians 6 / Nov 14 - contradiction? I don't think so.

Well, you might not believe I'm saying this... but I'm going to say it anyway. It's not what you do that is important. There, I said it. Throw the book at me! Tell me what a jerk I am for telling you for the last year "it's what you do that matters." Tell me how nonspiritual I am and what a low class preacher I am since I don't even have a basic grasp of the Bible. Are you feeling better? Are you glad to get that out of your system? Good. Now quite gloating and listen up.

I hope you have realized that I am not as concerned with making a good impression as some probably wish I was (maybe my wife for instance) because I'm not interested in trying to make Christianity "look" good as though it needed my "show" to be attractive to others. So, I try and keep it real (pun intended). You see what you do outwardly to prove you belong in church or to a church or are a good christian doesn't mean anything. What you and I do on Sunday may impress those sitting around us but it doesn't impress God and probably doesn't impress those outside the church looking for something more. Something real. Something beyond just some thing that you do (that was a lot of somethings).

Verse 15 of chapter 6 tells us that circumcision/uncircumcision (acts done to prove something) don't mean anything. That's right, they don't mean anything. What we do, doesn't mean anything. What matters Paul says is "a new creation." Remember that "I (Jesus) have come that you might have life, real life, more and better than you ever dreamed?" It comes from relationship, from the new creation that happens when we give our lives, completely, over to Christ. Romans 6 is the key text here saying that the "old has gone the new has come" when we are "baptized into Christ Jesus."

So the RULE, (don't cuss, don't commit sexual immorality or get drunk or lie, cheat or steal, etc.) doesn't mean anything if there is no new creation, they're just things you do or don't do. So what you do doesn't mean anything. It's the relationship you have (or don't) that matters.

Before you get too excited, what you do comes in to play after the new creation is, well created. Now you "do" not because it helps you or puts you in some special place with God but because you love Him and want to. And that's a lot better way to do things anyway.

How about a dose of Real Life.

1 comment:

Jack said...

OUCH! My head hurts! That is true though. It is the new creation that honors what God has made in us. The person we represent to the world is the new creation . That is the one others will want to be like and it will honor God and His kingdom. So keep it Real and God will be honored in our lives and others to follow. I pray we all take the steps needed to honor Christ everyday in our lives. We are coming into the season again where we get to thinking more of Christ in our lives ,but we need to have that all year long. God give us a humbling attitude all year long and one that honors the gift given to us of eternal life. Thank you for Your sacrifice so we may have life more abundantly.. Amen