Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Healthy Reminder

I have never heard of someone who did something wrong say they intended for it to happen. You know, husband or wife has an affair and they all say, "I never meant for this to happen!" Or a teenager goes to far and gets pregnant and they say, "I didn't mean for it to go this far!" You hurt someone and say, "I didn't MEAN to hurt you, that was not my intention."

Things happen. You may not have "thought" it would go that far or end up like it did but you certainly allowed it to. I don't get into the office on Monday morning and say, "I think I'd like to really do a poor job on my message this Sunday." But sometimes I allow other things to take my focus and I end up doing less than my best (thanks to God for using me even then!).

The writer of Hebrews gives us some sound advice to avoid these types of situations in our spiritual lives. He (or she) says, "make sure that your own hearts are not evil and unbelieving, turning you away from the living God."

Now, you are probably saying something like, "but I believe! My heart's not evil! I will never turn away!" We've heard that before. I think Peter said the same thing. You may not now think you would ever turn away. That's why you could say, "I didn't mean for this to happen." Right now you say you believe, but later you may say, "I never meant for it to go this far."

What's the answer? The writer starts out verse 12 saying, "be careful" and then it says, "Make sure." I recall Paul telling Timothy to, "watch your life and conduct." No one intends on moving away from God, but it happens all the time.

So be careful and make sure you evaluate yourself to see that you are not on a slippery slope. Are you spending time with other believers? Are you regular in church attendance? Are you serving and giving regularly at the church? How long has it been since you read your bible or prayed? Be careful. Make sure your own heart is not evil and unbelieving turning you away from the Living God.

No comments: