Wednesday, March 19, 2014

When We Test God Instead of Trust God

Day 78:  Exodus 28, Psalm 78 & 1 Samuel 29

I had to stop and seek forgiveness from God today in my reading.  I realized that I have been as guilty as the people of Israel who saw God work miracles yet questioned whether God was able to continue to provide.  I have done the same.  Instead of pressing on believing God will provide what is needed when it's needed, I have gripped and complained.  I have wondered in my heart if God would provide and even if He could.  I have tested God by trying to force Him to perform for me when I thought I needed it.

In the Psalm passage from today's reading Asaph is considering the way the Israelites have lived before God.  The same nation that saw God perform the plagues in Egypt - plagues which affected the people of Egypt, but not the people of Goshen, like an invisible fence stretching to heaven God made a distinction between the two peoples.  So when He brought darkness during the brightest day there was a wall, dark in Egypt, light in Goshen.  The frogs, gnats, locusts covered the land of Egypt but a medieval forcefield surrounded Goshen.  A miracle in the midst of a miracle.

Then, when the Israelites were leaving Egypt God parted the waters, destroyed their adversaries in the bottom of the Gulf of Achaba, turned bitter water sweet, split rocks and made rivers of water gush forth to water all the people and their flocks and herds - millions upon millions of people and animals drank and were satisfied with the water from a rock.  Granted, it was a huge rock.  Still impressive.

But then the people began to grumble.  Here's how Asaph records their questioning after all that God had already done, "Can God prepare a table in the wilderness?  ...He struck the rock so that waters gushed out, and streams of were overflowing; Can He give bread also?"  As they grumbled and tested God they actually recalled the incredible miracles He'd already performed!

And to my shame I've done the same.  Maybe you have too.  Have you seen God provide for you and then in a different situation questioned whether He could do the same?  Well, God I saw how you got me out of that last jam, can You do it again?  It's almost like were double-dog-daring Him to act again on our behalf.

And it's not that He doesn't want to, but I think what He wants is a little recognition and trust.  God, I have seen you work, seen you save and deliver, so in this situation I'm going to trust that you will do the same again.  Do you see the difference?  In the first situation we're egging Him to do something as though we're testing His strength and ability.  In the second we're believing that He can do something to save or deliver and assuming that He will and then TRUSTING that His time is the best time.

That is what He wants.  Our trust.  He wants us to walk each day knowing that He is with us and is watching out for us and then walking in His ways knowing He will provide what is necessary when it's necessary.

Today, no matter what comes at you, trust that God is right there with you in the middle of your chaos and that He has already made a plan to deliver you.  Then walk in His ways in confidence and trust that you will see Him show up in a powerful way.

I'm reminded of a passage of Scripture that would make a good prayer for today, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.  Seek His will in all you do and He will show you which path to take"  (Proverbs 3:5-6).

No comments: