Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Who Do You Go To When You're In Trouble?

Day 71:  Exodus 21, Psalm 71, 1 Samuel 22


When I was a kid I recall getting in trouble and being disciplined by my parents.  Usually that was not pleasant at all.  I even had moments of pretty intense opposition with my parents.  I recall one time getting into an argument with my father over my sisters dog.  I don't remember every detail but I do remember looking down at one point and realizing my father, like me, was making fists.  Intense.

But you know what. Whenever I had a problem my same parents who disciplined me and who I at times disagreed strongly with, were the first ones I ran to.

I think David knew this very well himself.  Here's how he put it in verse 20, "You who have shown me many troubles and distresses will revive me again and will bring me up from the depths of the earth."

David understood that, like parents, God has an obligation to discipline His children.  But that is only a part of His role.  And the purpose of that discipline is to lead us closer to Him.  Because He is the only one who can revive us and bring us up from the depths of the earth.

My parents were able to discipline me AND rescue me at times because they loved me.  But their love for me pales in comparison to the love God has for me.

God loves you so much that He died for you, do you really think He doesn't have your best interests at heart?  He wants you to know Him and lead you to the best life possible and sometimes that happens through His discipline.  Besides, to who else can you and I go?  The only hope we have in this life is Jesus.  Who else is there?  David knew that.  No matter how bad things get there is always hope in Jesus and there is never hope in anything else or anyone else.  In trouble?  Go to the only one who can not only fix your problem, but fix the cause of your problem.

No comments: