Thursday, August 7, 2008

Luke 1 / August 8th - foundation for faith

Good Friday friends!

I want to talk to you about faith. I am one of those people that says, faith is NOT just a step into nothing. I don't believe in a "leap" of faith which infers that there is some gap that you have to "leap" over to get to saving faith.

If you read the first 4 verses of Luke 1 you will see that this "leap" is not something Luke was interested in either. He says that he wants to write an orderly account of the life of Christ so that his benefactor (Theophilus) would "know the certainty" of the things he had been taught. Luke is saying, don't just believe because someone said it, let me lay out the history from eyewitnesses and from my own account so that your faith will have a foundation in the truth.

You see I believe. When someone on TV says that the casket of "Christ" has been found with his bones in it I laugh and turn the channel. I have faith. But it is not blind faith. It is not pie-in-the-sky faith. I believe because there is historical fact. Because there is no other credible option. Because evolution has been completely debunked. Because there has to be more to life than birth, a few years, and death.

So my faith is supported by reality. Truth. Fact.

There are no bones. The tomb is empty. The eyewitnesses are countless. The historical data is inescapable. So my faith has foundation... but even if it didn't, I'd still believe!

See you Sunday!

No comments: