Friday, August 15, 2008

Luke 9 / August 16 - can you say, "Can of Worms?"

It's Saturday morning and tomorrow is Sunday and I'm feeling a little spunky. The first few verses of this text tell of when Jesus gave the 12 apostles power to drive out demons and "cure diseases." This is the only time when Jesus gives anyone specific power. While this chapter speaks of others who can "drive out demons" no one else is given power to heal.

Now, this is a special ability/power. What Jesus in effect did was give carte blanche ability to heal. No prayer apparently. No questioning. Just blanket ability to heal and drive out demons. Notice that the apostles were a little trigger happy by verse 54 they wanted to "call down fire" on a town. They knew they had power.

Okay, now let me stir the pot. My opinion here...(notice I said OPINION!) is that the ability to heal on demand-such as the apostles had-died with the apostles and what I call 2nd generation healers. All the apostles had the ability to heal (Peter and Paul actually could heal by their shadow falling on someone) and there were some to whom the apostles gave the power to but there is no Biblical record of any 2nd generation healer. We have Jesus giving the power to the apostles. the Apostles gave it to a few others, but no one else was ever given the power.

Today we have some folks who claim they are descended from an apostle and so have power to heal or drive out demons. There are some who claim that they are a modern day apostle. (I actually had a guy breath on me one time and told me I just received a double portion of the Holy Spirit. I think he had a little too much "sauce" and there was no change that I could tell in my Spiritual life or ability, oh, and his breath smelled bad!)

If you ask me if I believe that people today have the carte blanche ability to heal? My opinion is NO. Do I believe that people are healed today? YES!!!! The difference? Heeling's come today through prayer, not merely some individuals whim, as with the Apostles.

So, would anyone like to throw the first stone? Maybe Benny Hinn?

No comments: