Thursday, August 21, 2008

Luke 15 / August 22 -

The first 7 verses of this chapter I just love. Because it reminds me of who I am to Christ; yes I know that I am important and so are you and that He loves me and died for me and all that stuff that makes me His child. But who I am in Christ also means that I get to take a back seat to every one else who He loves.

See, I've been in and heard of lots of church who after a while as the people grow and mature they also begin to think that because they are such "good" Christans or have been in that particular church for a long time it makes them more important. So as a minister you have to appease the people who are already there and spend all your time taking care of the sheep in the pen that you don't have any time to grow the fold.

Okay, let's just be honest. Every church that is looking for a new minister says that they want to grow and bring in new people, but few are willing to really do anything that will help that happen. It's one of those things that we Christians say 'cause it makes us sound good and holy but we don't really mean it. It doesn't take long to figure out that many Christans think the minister is doing a good job if he is meeting their needs but they don't stop to think about the needs of the people who are on the path to Hell.

In this parable Jesus states clearly that His focus is not the sheep in the pen, but the sheep that are "lost." And as His church that ought to be our focus too! We should never get so comfortable that we think church is about us or for us but we should constantly be thinking, how can we put our wants aside to meet the needs of the people who are not here yet. Why? cause we are already going to heaven! Our salvation is as sure as our faith but there are those who do not have that confidence. Jesus wants those people to have peace in their relationship with Him.

So what do I say to myself and to the church? (close your ears this is harsh!) Shut up and quite whining! It's not about you and what makes you comfortable, its about those people who are lost who need Jesus, not about those of us who already are in the pen.

Have a great Friday!

1 comment:

Jack said...

Ouch !! No , honestly that is what we are called to do. As you said earlier in one of your blogs , it is the fruit that tells the story of our faith. It is wonderful to be a little fruity and watch it grow. So sit back and bring some fruit to church with you and watch it grow. Have a great weekend !