Monday, August 11, 2008

Luke 5 / August 12 - this one just hit me...

Okay, I realize that I am not a scholar. I don't claim to be. I do the best I can with what I have, a bit of knowledge a little common sense and the will to tell someone about it. That being said, I saw something today that has stumped me for years. I have never gotten a real satisfactory answer, and don't know what I would do if I got one of those ivory tower answers anyway. But maybe you've seen this before and wondered about it, so let's look at it together and see what we can come up with.

In verse 17 we find Jesus sitting with a group of guys who don't like him very well and there is a little tag at the end of that verse that I have never figured out. It says that "the power of the Lord was present for him to heal the sick." Did you catch that? Luke felt it necessary to tell us that there was some power that was there (don't really know how he knew) that led or urged or prompted Jesus to heal.

Okay...I know what you're thinking, cause I am thinking it too! THIS IS JESUS! GOD'S SON! HE HAS THE POWER! I don't get it? Why was it necessary for Luke to tell us that at this particular time, this particular place, there was something that hadn't been there before so that Jesus was able? willing? directed? (take your pick) to heal.

Remember when we were going through Matthew? I just remembered and looked it up. In chapter 13, verse 58 it says that Jesus didn't many miracles because of their lack of faith. So, in that case, Jesus seems to be limited in his miraculous healing ability not because of any inability on His part, but because of "their" lack of faith.

And here, Luke points out that there was some sign, some feeling, some smell or visible thing or some thing that was just understood so that Jesus perceived power to heal. But still. Isn't the power of Jesus to heal, create, fly, transform, curse a bush and get angry with the thieves inhabiting the temple, completely and totally separate from anything else going on? Doesn't Jesus just have the power to do? Can't Jesus just do whatever, whenever? Come on! The Bible tells that by "Him" everything was created. Can't this guy do anything he wants, whenever he wants?!

The answer to that question is both YES and NO. Jesus, remember is the poster child for humility, which some have said is strength, under control. A team of horses, powerful and fast under the control of a small piece of leather or a bit. Jesus absolutely has the power and the ability to heal and do whatever else He wants, whenever He wants. But He doesn't. Why? we find that portion of the answer in John 5:19 where Jesus says I can do nothing by myself. I can do only what I see the Father doing because what the Father does, I do. (that was all my paraphrase, click on the link to see if just like Jesus said it).

Jesus had the power to heal, but didn't because the Father did not want it, for some reason, perhaps only He knows fully. In Luke 5 Jesus healed, not because he got some special telegram from God giving him permission, but because it was what God wanted at that moment. Jesus gives over control of His power and ability to His Father.

What a perfect picture for you and I. We CAN do anything we want, but it shouldn't be just about what we want, it should be about what HE wants. You see, God has our best interest at heart, so if we follow Him and act in HIS will, we will never go wrong and we will in all practicality be acting just like Jesus. What would Jesus Do? whatever His Father wanted him to.
Have a good Tuesday!

No comments: