Tuesday, August 25, 2009

God, put it in my heart...

The average Joe, Nehemiah, has returned from Persia (Babylon) to rebuild the walls of the city. Despite great odds and few people, he mustered their best strength and even got the fat-cat nobles to pitch in and they finished the job in record time. Chapter 7 of Nehemiah's life, says that they not only rebuilt the walls but also hung the gates! Which means that they were a protected city again. There was some confidence there, among the people. The wall meant security. It meant status. No longer was the city they loved exposed. No longer could any neighboring town or people simple walk through or over the wall and kill or take captives. This was BIG! Having the wall up was like getting the deluxe ADT security package for your home! They had done it! They had withstood the ridicule and those who were trying to discourage them and they had completed the job.
Now it was time to sit back and relax. To rest a bit and enjoy their security and comfort. Look, less than 50,000 people had finished this huge undertaking, it was time to party! To rest. To marvel at what they had done.
But not for Nehemiah. Verses 4 and 5 say that Nehemiah looked around and saw that the houses had not been rebuilt yet. And that God "put it into my heart to..." well, to do something about it. So Nehemiah set out to begin the process of counting and registering the people so they could be given space and protection within the city.
Here's my prayer today. God, it is easy to sit back and relax and take it easy, especially after a big job or a completed task... but I ask you to "put into my heart" the next thing that needs to be done. The next mountain that needs to be moved. The next task that's been left undone. Don't let me relax or pat myself on the back... there is more to do. There is always more to do... and I want to do it. Put it into my heart - what Your plan is. And then give me the strength and ability to finish it.

No comments: