Thursday, August 27, 2009

Time Sensitive

Well, it's on to a new OT book this morning. Esther comes after being really interested in the history of the kings, and the exile, etc. Oh well.
-Did you hear that Ted Kennedy passed away yesterday morning? I, like others will not get into his politics, just want to say a prayer that he hopefully had a relationship with Jesus Christ.
-Did you know that, supported by the CARS program over 700K new cars have been sold? Good for the automotive industry... if they ever get paid, maybe not so good for me, since my tax dollars went to help someone else get a car. I myself am looking for a used car - cheap. So, my tax money helped someone else get a car that I can't myself afford.
-Talked to a friend who is a minister in Michigan, you know the place Jeff Daniels is always talking about, he says that Michigan has the worst economy in the Nation.
-Oh, one more, I heard the aircraft industry here in KS is now at 9.9% unemployment.

Why does all this matter? Who cares what is going on in the world around us! We're Christians and aren't supposed to care about "worldly" things.

Okay, calm down. I read this morning that when King Xerxes had a problem he called together his advisers (the smartest guys in his kingdom) and asked them what to do. The text in Esther chapter 1 says that they "were wise men, who understood the times."

You see, while the death of Kennedy and the Cash for Clunkers program doesn't really affect me, politically (republican) or where our new (old)- $1500 or less) car is concerned they do affect others. And as a Christian who wants to see every person possible find real life through a relationship with Jesus Christ it's important for me to "understand the times" so I can best reach out to those who right at this moment, driving to work or eating breakfast or headed to school, don't care at all about Jesus.

I must understand the times so I can, more effectively, find ways to reach out to those who need to know the hope I have in a God they can't see.

So here's to being informed and informing. May we use every opportunity that presents itself to share our faith - understanding these times.

No comments: