Friday, August 28, 2009

I like to Stand Up... but I don't always do it.

It's Friday morning. Andi and 3 of the kids have left for school and I'm reading alone on the couch (Trent's still in bed). And I'm thinking about times to stand up.

One of my favorite things has always been going to a major league baseball game for the national anthem. I am always in awe when the person comes out on the field, everybody stands up and by mid way through the song just about everyone is singing and facing our flag. Brings tears to my eyes every time.

I went to a Promise Keepers event at Texas Stadium one year and there were 50,000 guys standing and singing songs to Jesus and it was awesome. And I cried.

It's easy for me to stand up during those times and take in the moment, when everyone else is standing. Everyone else is involved. Everyone else is doing it. But would I stand if I were the only one?

Esther's surrogate father, Mordecai, knew what it was like to stand alone.

Haman, the kings second in command, would pass through the king's gate every day and every day everyone in the square would bow down, drop to one knee, show respect and honor. But Mordecai always stood. Regardless that it meant death. Even though that act, standing, brought about Haman's plan to "cleanse" Persia of the Jews. All of them.

See, Mordecai believed in God and as such, that he should not bow to anyone but God. Call it stubborn or foolish or even a death wish. Mordecai didn't bow.

When "everyone else is doing it" what do you do? Can you stand when everyone else is bowing? Can you raise your voice when everyone else is silent? Can you give when everyone else has decided to withhold?

I don't know about you, but I want to be a Stand Up guy.

No comments: