Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Am I the one?

Just struck this morning with a line in Mark 14:19. Jesus has just told the disciples eating the Last Supper with Him that, "one of you will betray me." And "greatly distressed" they each asked Him, "Am I the one?"

Strange. Don't you think they would know? Judas had already agreed to betray Jesus - he certainly knew! But the other 11 all asked (surely Judas did too so he wouldn't stand out) "Am I the one?"

Jesus knows everything before it happens. He knows what I'm going to end up doing today when I don't even know EXACTLY what is going to happen today. And when Jesus is teaching the disciples to pray He says, "lead us not into temptation - but deliver us from evil." Those are forward thinking statements, future tense.

I think, as strange as it seems, this needs to be a question for me everyday. Lord, today, Am I the one who will betray your trust? Today, am I the one who will bring shame on the Name of Christ? Today am I the one who will cause someone to think, "that's why I'm not a christian" ?

Because today, I want to be the one who points someone to Christ. I want to be the one who affirms the faith to others. Today, I want to be the one who stands up for Christ.

Today, Lord - let me be the one who does the right thing, and not the other one.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The extent of God's knowledge of what I am going to do used to freak me out a little bit. It still does sometimes.

Corey said...

yea, me too! But in everything I do (and you do whether in the news biz or coaching or whatever) God can use me to point the right way... If I'm just open to it.