Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Do we take God too lightly?

So I was preparing for the Monday evening Bible Survey class when I came across this passage in the book of Leviticus.

Then the Lord said to Aaron, "You and your sons are not to drink wine or other fermented drink whenever you go into the tent of meeting, or you will die... You must distinguish between the unclean and the clean..."

This conversation between God and Aaron happened right after Aaron watched his two sons die when fire came from the "presence of the Lord" and killed them (read about it in Lev 10:1-11). Moses' response to this was incredible, "This is what the Lord spoke of when He said, 'Among those who approach me I will show myself holy; in the sight of all the people I will be honored.'"

I think sometimes, perhaps because we don't see people get consumed by fire anymore, we get a little apathetic to our relationship with God. The fact is, God is Holy. There is none like Him and no one has the "right" to stand before our Holy God.

I think a good dose of distinguishing between the clean and unclean, the holy and unholy would do us good. When was the last time you thought, "I'm going to church tomorrow, I should prepare myself for what God will say to me?" I try (try) to keep a very low profile on Saturday nights so that I can mentally and spiritually prepare for Sunday morning and preaching from God's Word.

I just wonder what would happen if we all began to prepare on Saturday for what God would do on Sunday? For instance, you could cut out drinking alcohol on Saturday night - just because you're preparing yourself for Sunday. You could watch your language closer - just because you're gonna worship in the morning. You could spend some time reading your Bible or turn the TV off and talk to the family or just sit and think about the week because tomorrow you're gonna be in the presence of a Holy God.

No comments: