Thursday, February 18, 2010

How quickly we forget

My kids can forget stuff in an instant. "When you're done with that, go clean your room" I say. An hour later, "why didn't you clean your room?" "I forgot" comes the reply. But I guess I can't get too upset with them (I can but it doesn't sound very nice for this post!) because forgetfulness is one of my spiritual gifts!

Do you have this problem? God does something great for you or through you and its wonderful and you are so excited that He came through for you... then the next time you need something you worry and fret and fear grips you. You forgot about His faithfulness. You forgot about His ability to handle any situation. You forgot He loves you.

Luke 9 starts out with Jesus sending out the disciples who in verse 6 are preaching the good news and "healing the sick." but only 7 short verses later, in front of Jesus, they are totally clueless! Jesus tells them to feed the crowd and they are like, "uh... how are we gonna do that it would take a lot of money and a long time to walk to a village that probably wouldn't have enough food for this many people, and...and... but... and." You get the idea.

They forgot that Jesus gave them the power. They forgot that they had the ability. They forgot that when Jesus asks you to do something He provides a way to do it too. They forgot. And you and I do the same thing. God, help me to remember. To draw a line in the sand and say this is where it happened. To build a spiritual monument to the incredible things You've done in my life so that I don't forget. So that I trust. So that I'm ready.

No comments: