Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Acts 15 / Oct 1 - the greatest leadership quality

This is a great chapter... why you ask? well, if you give me a second I'll tell you.
You have in this chapter the church at it's very beginning. In this chapter you see both people who are serving Christ and following Him and you have some people who seem to think they can gain control or maintain power by pushing undo rules and regulations on the new Christians (btw this is exactly what they were doing under the Old Testament!).

So, while they argued they also showed humility in the church. When they argued and couldn't come to a conclusion they went to Jerusalem, which was the center of Christianity at the time. It was there that some Apostles, along with James the brother of Jesus who would become the leader of the church in the known world, as well as Elders who had been appointed, presumably by the Apostles.

They went to Jerusalem, gave their side of the story and then the Apostles and Elders met together and came to a conclusion with the help of the Holy Spirit.

But notice, Paul and Barnabas were the ones who were arguing and they also went and set on the "board" when the Apostles and Elders met. But there was no issue there. They trusted each other, to an extent, even when they were on opposite sides of the issue.

And in the end a very positive decision for the church was reached. It did not segregate but brought people together, not because they believed the same thing, but because they agreed willingly to submit themselves, in humility to these leaders.

Even here there is humility and submission. Great lesson for leadership.

PS: Please say a prayer for me today. I should be on the plane, when you read this, heading to Vegas. The school I teach for, National American University, is sending me to Vegas for a conference. It is an honor to go but I am a bit apprehensive. I have never been to "sin" city before and do not like traveling without Andi. So... you get the idea. Pray also for Andi and the kids - lots to do with one less pair of hands!

2 comments:

Jack said...

I doubt your on the plane when I read this ! ha ha! I will pray for your safe travel and enjoy your trip . If Andrea needs anything she can call Joyce and I. You've had a couple good blogs on faith and leadership! Good job ! You shouldn't get in trouble in Vegas as long as you see Vegas from your motel room. Ha , I kill me ! God grant Corey a safe trip to and from and keep him from any trouble while on his travels . Amen

Corey said...

Thanks Jack!