Thursday, January 14, 2010

I'm a lot like Peter... you'll see.

Bible reading for Thursday January 14 - Matthew 16, 17

I like Peter. He is capable of great spiritual understanding and two seconds later acts like he doesn't have a spiritual clue. He speaks profound truth and in the same breath utters the very heart of Satan. I like Peter because I'm a lot like him.

Peter speaks the great confession which we still use today, You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God. And then he seeks to keep Jesus from His appointed death (the only way that the sin price could be paid and salvation/heaven be offered), which is exactly what Satan wanted. Peter sees Jesus transfigured and meets Elijah and Moses, two of the greats! And then expects Jesus to pay a tax to His own Father, just so that he (Peter) doesn't look foolish.

I'm a lot like Peter. I am capable of seeing and explaining spiritual things that sometimes are beyond me. And then I can do something so stupid, so spiritually void you'd think I had no relationship with Jesus at all!

But I guess if God can choose and use Peter, with all his flaws, He can choose and use me. So I'll continue to do my best. When I succeed spiritually I'll give praise and thanks to God. And when I fail miserably I'll ask forgiveness. And one day, just like Peter, maybe I'll be blessed enough to do more right than wrong.

Here's hoping.

No comments: