Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What Scripture do you cancel?

Bible reading for Wednesday Jan 13 - Matthew 15

The Pharisees in this passage cancelled God's command to honor your father and mother by claiming that you could instead, pledge your help and finances to God. So any help physically or financially that you would have given your parents as they got older would be instead re-directed to God. Silly. But that was there rule.

It occurs to me that we can be guilty of the same kind of thing. But instead of replacing God's Word we simply ignore it. We find a passage we don't like and say, well that doesn't matter. I once heard a well known female television preacher read the passage in 1 Corinthians that talks about women being silent in the church and not having a position of authority over a man, and then simply say, "well, I think you know how I feel about that." Everybody laughed and she went right on preaching. That's when I stopped listening to her.

Is there something in God's Word that you have decided to laugh off or "cancel" because you simply don't want to deal with it in your life? I am really trying this year to be a better father and husband - not easy. Seems like every day my lovely and very intuitive and spiritually in tune wife lets me in on another thing that I need to change/stop doing. Not fun for me. But, if it makes me a better husband, i.e. more like Christ. If it makes me a better dad, more like my heavenly Father. If it makes me a better minister, preacher, teacher, friend, then it's worth it to me.

The Scriptures are there to be a road map and guide for our lives. If we ignore even a portion of it, cancel it out because we don't want to deal with it - no matter how difficult it may be - we will not become fully-devoted, mature followers of Christ. We will be lacking something.

I want to deal with God's Word completely and honestly so that I am not found wanting. No cancelling the hard stuff.

No comments: