Monday, January 18, 2010

What's $$ got to do with it?

Last week while working on the message for Sunday, something so elemental, so basic, so... duh, came so clear to me. I am reminded of Paul telling the church, "by this time you ought to be teaching, but you still need to be taught the basic truths of of the Bible."

Everything is God's. And I know that I am expected, as a believer, to give back to God a portion of what He has given me; great or small, 10% belongs to Him.

But I was reminded Sunday that it's not because He needs it, it's because money means life to us today. Without money we can't buy, food, heat, electric, etc. So, money is life. And that's what God wants, our lives. If we still used shells (like some ancient cultures), or pelts, or gold, grain or animals, to support our lives, then God would ask for 10% of that. Every god asks for something, only God wants to help us trust Him more by what He asks for.

Money is not money when given to God, it's trust. I trust God with my life - so I give Him a little portion of my income to prove it.

No comments: