Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Don't listen to me...

You heard me. Don't listen to me. I've been speaking in front of people my whole life and I can be pretty good at it (I always got A's in speech and public speaking). But if I trust my own wisdom to plan a message or present an argument it will fall. Not because it wasn't well crafted or my audience was not considered - but because it will lack the power that only comes when I speak through the Spirit.

I think I finally see what Paul is talking about in the second half of 1 Corinthians 3. Once a foundation of faith in Jesus Christ has been laid in a persons life lots of people "build" on that faith. Preachers, teachers, guys on television (sometimes) friends who speak into your life the things of God, etc. But what is built on that foundation of faith in Jesus Christ will be tested and the builder proved by God. Some build with mighty talk and deep theology. Some build with plain language. Some get by and some go overboard. But all will be tested. What is built on that foundation is a group of people (we'll call them christians) that become something more than they could be separately (we'll call it the church). If that structure survives the builder will be saved.

So don't listen to me, I'm only a builder. Test what is said. Prove it from God's Word. Listen to me only to the extent that I continue to speak as the Holy Spirit leads and when/if I ever stop (Lord help me never to reach that point) then stop listening to me. Kick me out.

You are not baptized into Corey. I didn't die for your sins. I can't save you (or me!). All I can do is hope to build you up on the foundation of Jesus Christ, to be mature believers in Jesus Christ. And Lord willing, I'll spend the rest of my life doing that, right here at Real Life.

No comments: