Monday, May 10, 2010

simple faith

Do you know how I remember the name of the by who fell out of the third story window to his death while Paul preached on into the night? You'd-a-cussed too if you fell out a window. Eutychus, was his actual name and I'm inspired to simple faith today because of his sleepiness.

Fortunately this kind of thing (falling asleep in church) doesn't happen very often but this time it had a beneficial result.

Eutychus falls out of the window to his death (Acts 20). Paul goes downstairs to see him and picks him up in his arms and tells everyone, "don't worry, he's alive!" "Then they all went back up..." That's it. The young man dies. The Holy Spirit heals him through Paul and they all go back to what they were doing. Eating. Communion. More preaching.

What would it be like if the uncommon where so common that we expected it? The Bible says that God calls things that AREN'T as though they ARE. I think I'd like to try that. God is in the business of the uncommon. So I need to familiarize myself with that place - so I like being there and get used to the things I'm not used to.

No comments: