Monday, May 24, 2010

got out my list...

Just reading some more in Galatians 2 where Paul opposes Peter to his face and in front of a crowd! Wow. That's some intestinal fortitude on Paul's part. But I wonder how Peter felt? He surely knew he was in the wrong before Paul even said a word - then to have Paul point it out so openly... Man, I feel for him.

Truth is, I don't take criticism well. I want to. I know how I ought to feel about it, but that doesn't help me in the moment. I take everything so intensely personal - especially where the church is concerned. Even from my wife I have a hard time hearing (and responding appropriately) to criticism.

We're never told how Peter took it... maybe he got all up in Paul's grill... but probably not. I guess I need to add that to my list of things the Holy Spirit needs to help me work on. He'll do that you know. He wants to make you more like Christ - so He'll help you work on those small (and big) character flaws so that more and more you and I reflect the character of Christ. Who gave His life.

Just so you know, my list is getting really heavy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 in 1 day ! Somethings got a hold of you today huh ? !!

elandreth said...

We hate criticism because it is like a knife cutting us deeply. But we need criticism to help us keep ourselves in perspective. A steady diet of praise produces a power hungry person. And that always leads down a hard path that is a dead end street. So look at the criticism from the other person's perspective, accept it and thank them for it, then evaluate yourself and step up to a higher notch on life's ladder.